NOVEMBER 10, 2014
Narendra Modi calls for World Yoga Day.
The Indian government moves to impose yoga and meditation in all universities
A U.N. Speech on Yoga?
By Dyanne Weiss, September 27, 2014
The United Nations General Assembly heard a variety of speakers this week that drew a lot of attention – from Emma Watson on feminism at the beginning of the week to Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi today. While Modi did address some topics one would expect from the leader of an emerging economy, it was an unexpected topic that caught ears. Modi’s U.N. speech may have touched on world peace and climate change, but it was the call for world yoga that turned heads.
Elected Prime Minister (PM) in May, Modi was making his first U.N. General Assembly speech and talking about climate change when he suddenly brought up yoga. The PM invoked his country’s Hindu and ascetic traditions, which he said might provide answers to climate change. Modi then surprised everyone by calling for an International Yoga Day and describing the ancient science of yoga as “India’s gift to the world.”
“Yoga should not be just an exercise for us,” Modi said, noting that yoga should also be used as “a means to get connected with the world and with nature.” He encouraged more people to take up the practice of yoga, which predates the Islam’s arrival in India. “It should bring a change in our lifestyle and create awareness in us.”
Modi has previously explained that he was introduced to yoga when he was young. At the U.N., he pointed out that the practice “is not about exercise but discovering the sense of oneness within yourself, the world and nature.”
Read just 2 of the 20 testimonies of former yoga practitioners on our web site to understand the grave spiritual dangers and dark side of yoga for Catholics.
TESTIMONY OF A FORMER YOGI-16
PRISCILLA DE GEORGE
TESTIMONY OF A FORMER YOGI-19
CONNIE J. FAIT
In the U.S., Modi is preaching to the choir. Yoga continues to rise in popularity. In 2012, a study showed that 20.4 million Americans regularly practice yoga, up 29 percent from the 15.8 million practitioners reported in a similar study in 2008. While Modi has long been a practitioner, in the U.S. less than 20 percent of those who regularly practice yoga are male.
Modi has commented that yoga is not expensive. All one needs is a mat to do yoga, per the PM. However, yoga in this country has become a multi-billion dollar business with expenditures on classes, equipment, vacations and clothing at price points from Lululemon at the higher end to Target or Walmart on the budget end.
While some U.S. practitioners worry about their attire, many forget or understate its link to India (in spite of saying “Namaste” and the Sanskrit names for poses). Modi’s reminder about “India’s gift” on the world stage to India’s gift is possible meant to remind Americans and the rest of the world audience of his country’s historical involvement.
World Yoga Day has actually been celebrated in some areas and yoga studios since 2007 (the next one is on February 22, 2015), but there has never been an official sanction. When other world leaders spoke at the U.N. about political issues, Modi advocated inculcating yoga in lives and urged the nations of the world to adopt an International Yoga Day. He noted that changing one’s “lifestyle and creating consciousness, it can help us deal with climate change.”
In Narendra Modi’s own words at the United Nations, yoga derives from India’s “Hindu and ascetic traditions“; he also confirmed that the philosophy of yoga is monistic and goes much farther than the physical exercises or asanas when he said: “the practice “is not about exercise but discovering the sense of oneness within yourself, the world and nature.”” Simply put, ALL IS ONE.
So much for the false claims of those Catholics who teach that yoga may be practiced by disciples of Jesus Christ. Yoga, by its very name and nature, seeks a monistic union with “god”. Yoga is, as the Prime Minister’s words imply, far more than an
exercise; it is a Hindu spiritual regimen of bodily postures that uses breathing techniques called pranayama to enter a state of “meditation” that leads to a monistic union with the Universal Life Force that is in all and is all. Where there is yoga, there is pranayama and meditation.
Yoga and pranayama very useful to me, says Modi
September 21, 2014
Prime Minister Narendra Modi today advised that everyone should make yoga and pranayama* part of their lives for a healthy physical and psychological living.
“I’m fortunate that I was introduced to the world of yoga and pranayama at an early age. That has been very useful to me. I always advise everyone to make this a part of their lives,” Modi told CNN‘s Fareed Zakaria during his first world interview after becoming the prime minister.
Dwelling on the benefits of yoga, he said, “Sometimes, we notice our mind works on one thing, the body on another, and time brings us in conflict. Yoga synchronizes the heart, the mind, and the body. That is yoga.”
But the prime minister admitted he is a workaholic and has little time to rest.
“Look, I’m not the “not-working” type. I derive pleasure from my work. Work gives me relaxation too. Every moment I am thinking of something new: making a new plan, new ways to work. In the same way that a scientist draws pleasure from long hours in the laboratory, I draw pleasure in governance, in doing new things and bringing people together. That pleasure is sufficient for me,” Modi said.
*What is Pranayama?
After Narendra Modi’s wish, UGC asks all universities to introduce yoga and meditation
By Ritika Chopra, ET Bureau, October 10, 2014
NEW DELHI: Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s aggressive promotion of yoga seems to have made a believer out of the country’s higher education regulator.
Just a few days after he urged world leaders at the United Nations to adopt an International Yoga Day, the University Grants Commission (UGC), under the Ministry of Human Resource Development, has asked all recognised universities to start offering yoga and meditation lessons on campus to promote “holistic well being” of students.
It’s unclear at this point whether these lessons would be compulsory for students. Universities will have to employ qualified yoga instructors for this purpose and are also free to charge a small fee from participants.
The yoga sessions will be part of UGC’s positive health programme, an extension of the Swachh Bharat Abhiyan launched by HRD minister Smriti Irani on the birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi in Anand, Gujarat, last week.
Under the ‘Swachh Bharat, Swasthya Bharat’ (Clean India, Healthy India) scheme, universities will have to promote healthy living along with cleanliness. The UGC will provide financial assistance to universities to implement this scheme.
“A clean and healthy mind is as important as clean environment. Students these days are stressed and do not lead a healthy lifestyle. Health clusters in universities are the need of the hour. This idea might be new to India, but abroad it’s the norm,” said a senior UGC official, who did not wish to be identified.
Apart from yoga, universities and affiliated colleges are also expected to generate awareness about healthy diets, drugs and substance abuse, benefits of exercise and also promote communal harmony. Although the circular hasn’t made implementation of ‘Swachh Bharat, Swasthya Bharat’ compulsory, UGC officials told ET that they expect that most educational institutions dependent on grants will comply.
This is not UGC’s first attempt at promoting yoga. Under the XI Five-Year Plan, the regulator had initiated a scheme for ‘Promotion of Yoga Education and Practice & Positive Health in Universities’, which was a non-starter. “The government’s focus on cleanliness and healthy living gave fresh lease of life to the proposal to promote yoga on campuses,” said another UGC official.
PM Modi Now Has a Minister for Yoga, Ayurveda
November 10, 2014
Prime Minister Narendra Modi has, in his cabinet expansion on Sunday, created a separate AAYUSH portfolio, whose minister will be charged with promoting traditional medicines and practices of Ayurveda, yoga, naturopathy, Unani, Siddha and
As the first ever AAYUSH minister, Shripad Yesso Naik will have Independent Charge. AAYUSH was previously part of the Health Minister’s responsibility.
PM Modi begins his day with yoga and had in his speech at the United Nations in September, made a strong pitch to observe an International Yoga Day, which has reportedly been supported by 50 countries, including the US and China.
He also regularly mentions traditional Indian practices in his exchanges with important world leaders. PM Modi had such a discussion with President Barack Obama during his visit to the United States and had gifted a book on Yoga to his Australian counterpart Tony Abbott, who expressed an interest in the traditional Indian forms of physical, mental and spiritual practices when he visited India also in September.
While calling on member countries of the UN to celebrate June 21 as International Yoga Day, Mr Modi had said, “Yoga embodies unity of mind and body; thought and action; restraint and fulfilment; harmony between man and nature; a holistic approach to health and well-being.”
AYUSH-THE NEW AGE DANGERS OF MARCH 25, 2008
1. BRAHMA KUMARIS WORLD SPIRITUAL UNIVERSITY
2. CARDINAL OSWALD GRACIAS ENDORSES YOGA FOR CATHOLICS
3. CATHOLIC YOGA HAS ARRIVED
4. DIVINE RETREAT CENTRE ERRORS-05
5. FORMER YOGI REJECTS A CHRISTIAN ALTERNATIVE TO YOGA
6. FR ADRIAN MASCARENHAS-YOGA AT ST PATRICK’S CHURCH BANGALORE
7. FR JOE PEREIRA-KRIPA FOUNDATION-NEW AGE ENDORSED BY THE ARCHDIOCESE OF BOMBAY AND THE CBCI
8. FR JOE PEREIRA-KRIPA FOUNDATION-WORLD COMMUNITY FOR CHRISTIAN MEDITATION
9. FR JOHN FERREIRA-YOGA, SURYANAMASKAR AT ST. PETER’S COLLEGE, AGRA
10. FR JOHN VALDARIS-NEW AGE CURES FOR CANCER
11. IS BISHOP DABRE FORMER CHAIRMAN DOCTRINAL COMMISSION A PROPONENT OF YOGA
12. NEW AGE GURUS 01-SRI SRI RAVI SHANKAR-THE ‘ART OF LIVING’
13. PAPAL CANDIDATE OSWALD CARDINAL GRACIAS ENDORSES YOGA
14. U.S. CATHOLIC MAGAZINE ENDORSES NEW AGE-REIKI, YOGA AND ZEN
15. VISHAL JAGRITI MAGAZINE PULLS YOGA SERIES OF FR FRANCIS CLOONEY
17. YOGA IN THE DIOCESE OF MANGALORE
18. YOGA, SURYANAMASKAR, GAYATRI MANTRA, PRANAYAMA TO BE MADE COMPULSORY IN EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTIONS
1. A CATHOLIC ALTERNATIVE TO YOGA-PIETRA FITNESS
2. AN INDIAN CATHOLIC’S PROBLEMS WITH THE CONDEMNATION OF YOGA ARE ADDRESSED
3. AUM SHINRIKYO YOGA CULT
4. AYURVEDA AND YOGA-DR EDWIN A NOYES
6. TRUTH, LIES AND YOGA-ERROL FERNANDES
7. WAS JESUS A YOGI? SYNCRETISM AND INTERRELIGIOUS DIALOGUE-ERROL FERNANDES
10. YOGA AND DELIVERANCE
11. YOGA IS SATANIC-EXORCIST FR GABRIELE AMORTH
12. YOGA-A PATH TO GOD-FR LOUIS HUGHES
13. YOGA-BRO IGNATIUS MARY
14. YOGA-FR EZRA SULLIVAN
15. YOGA-MARTA ALVES
16. YOGA-MIKE SHREVE
18. YOGA-SUSAN BRINKMANN
18. YOGA-THE DECEPTION-FR CONRAD SALDANHA
20. YOGA-WHAT DOES THE CATHOLIC CATECHISM SAY ABOUT IT
21. YOGA-WHAT DOES THE CATHOLIC CHURCH SAY ABOUT IT?
1. LETTER TO THE BISHOPS OF THE CATHOLIC CHURCH ON SOME ASPECTS OF CHRISTIAN MEDITATION CDF/CARDINAL JOSEPH RATZINGER OCTOBER 15, 1989
2. JESUS CHRIST THE BEARER OF THE WATER OF LIFE, A CHRISTIAN REFLECTION ON THE NEW AGE COMBINED VATICAN DICASTERIES FEBRUARY 3, 2003
TESTIMONY OF A FORMER YOGI-01
2. TESTIMONY OF A FORMER YOGI-02
3. TESTIMONY OF A FORMER YOGI-03
4. TESTIMONY OF A FORMER YOGI-04
5. TESTIMONY OF A FORMER YOGI-05
6. TESTIMONY OF A FORMER YOGI-06
7. TESTIMONY OF A FORMER YOGI-07
8. TESTIMONY OF A FORMER YOGI-08
9. TESTIMONY OF A FORMER YOGI-09
10. TESTIMONY OF A FORMER YOGI-10
11. TESTIMONY OF A FORMER YOGI-11
12. TESTIMONY OF A FORMER YOGI-12
13. TESTIMONY OF A FORMER YOGI-13
14. TESTIMONY OF A FORMER YOGI-14 VIRGO HANDOJO
15. TESTIMONY OF A FORMER YOGI-15 PURVI
16. TESTIMONY OF A FORMER YOGI-16
PRISCILLA DE GEORGE
17. TESTIMONY OF A FORMER YOGI-17
18. TESTIMONY OF A FORMER YOGI-18
BRANDY BORDEN SMITH
19. TESTIMONY OF A FORMER YOGI-19
20. TESTIMONY OF A FORMER YOGI-20